Wednesday 27 June 2012

To My Adorable Aunt


Moments like birthdays are where we are opportune to tell our dear ones how feel about them. I am not a natural at expressing deep-rooted thoughts about people but for you, I will try. I will put my all into saying it the way it comes from my heart on what I have over the years known you to be.

I got to know you more when I desperately needed guidance. I was very young and on the verge of taking the next leap in life, a new phase, a gigantic step. I closely watched you from afar. I was skeptical at first if I there is something to learn from you. You seem to have some aura of boundaries around you. Some air of mystery. You were elusive. So I drew nearer and two qualities I got from you - hard work and patience.

I discovered you put everything into anything you do. You studied hard when I thought you should have stopped reading. You put your might into what you find you set your hands on. You didn’t use to cook always but when you do, it was like a perfect meal from above. One could even see the beautiful hard work in what you wear and how you wear it. You were never exposing, showy nor flashy but always on-point. And when you counsel me, I marvel at the manner at which you preach hard work.

Aunty Sade, though you had your ups and down in life as every human does, you were always patient. You are brisk and smart yet, never in a hurry. You do things one at a time, a step after the other and you always finish strong. You set your eyes on your goal and work your ways patiently at it till you get the prize. You were never tetchy, never grumpy; always persistent.

With age and time, your being transcends these qualities. You are a success-builder. You believed in the theory of ‘you become successful when those around you are successful.’ You build doors where there are none for opportunities to knock on. You impact positively everyone that is lucky to meet you. You are so welcoming and pleasant, always ready to be of assistance; so approachable on any subject matter.


Sista Mi (as we fondly call you), you are not an egoist-always selfless. I have also learnt that I don’t have to be the ‘head of state’ or the head of family before I can do my bit. You are a perfect practitioner of ‘When deeds speak, words are nothing.’ You just don’t say things, you do them. You are not boastful. I learnt I can always go a little more.  You made me see the beauty in making people.’ 

 I appreciate all that you have been to me. Your counsel is an unwavering voice that kept me through trying periods.

Just like I can’t talk about all I learnt from you enough, I can’t pray for you enough either. But these prayer I say to God concerning you that just like a living tree planted by the riverside, you shall forever be watered.  Your source shall never run dry.

Happy Birthday Ma, God bless you.

Olori Oko (as u fondly call me)

No comments:

Post a Comment